Watercolor - Session 2
with Melissa Rioux
Explore color on paper; learn or practice the fundamentals of watercolor, brush techniques and tone transitions. This class is for anyone interested in exploring with watercolor paints and brushes. Students will be introduced to a range of materials and encouraged to play and yield their own varied results. All levels are encouraged to participate! Course materials are available for purchase online (dickblick.com), at AC Moore and Hobby Lobby in Bangor, and Shirley’s Yarns & Crafts in Hancock (10% discount for Adult Ed students). No class 04/15/19. Makeup class (if needed) 05/20/19.
Melissa Rioux hails from coastal Maine but spent 10 years in New York teaching and writing arts curriculum for children and adults. She is devoted to the transformative power art can have to alter and improve the world.
- Arches cold or hot press sheet paper (3 lg. sheets)
- Palette (plastic, metal, or glass)
- Masking tape, water cup, pencil
- Watercolor in tubes (small): Alizarin crimson, cadmium red, cadmium yellow light, lemon yellow or Indian yellow, ultramarine blue, cerulean blue, cobalt blue, black, yellow ochre, burnt sienna, raw umber
- Watercolor brushes (an assortment): round (size 4, 6, 8, 10), filbert, 1/2” flat (Kolinsky sable brushes preferred, but any assortment - fan, filbert or wash brushes are fun to experiment with)
Melissa suggests that this list is ideal. If all are not affordable, bring what you have to the first class and she’ll review supplies.
Apr 1 - May 13th, 2019
Mon for 6 weeks from 6:00 - 8:30 pm
20 Forest Avenue
Ellsworth, ME 04605 Get directions